Apr 28, 2011

This really got me

About ten minutes ago when I was reading an old issue of the Ensign from May 2010, I was reading the talk "Mother told me" given by Elder Bradley D. Foster of the Seventy. The first thing you read under the title is a quote from it when he says "Perhaps the reason we respond so universally to our mothers' love is because it typifies the love of our Savior." I thought that was really interesting. Then when I got to the end this next quote I teared up a little. I was sitting at a table in the library with my highlighter just reading it and highlighting important lessons and quotes in the talk. The quote says "As in all things, the Savior set the perfect example in the love He showed for His earthly mother. In the final, most pivotal moment of His mortal life-- after the anguish of Gethsemane, the mock trial, the crown of thorns, the heavy cross to which He was brutally nailed -- Jesus looked down from the cross and saw His mother, Mary, who had come to be with her Son. His final act of love berore he died was to ensure that His mother would be cared for, saying to His disciple, "Behold they mother!" And from that point on the disciple took her unto his home. As the scriptures say, then Jesus knew that "all things were now accomplished," and He bowed His head and died (see John 19:27-28, 30)"
I started to cry when I read that. I didn't care what the other kids in the library thought, I was really moved by this. It really touched me.
I know there have been so many women in my life who have taught me things that mothers teach their children. I even consider one other female figure besides my biological mother, sort of my mom of the church. Since my mom is not a member, she doesn't know things of the Gospel to teach me. I am so grateful for the lessons my mom has taught me. I am also grateful for the things my "church mother" has taught me. She set a brilliant example of patience for me and I look up to her in that regard. She and her family have had all my missionary lessons except one in their home. She taught me and set a true shining example of faith and good works. I really look up to this woman and am so glad to have an example like that in my life.
Honor your mothers and the women who teach you. Love them because they love you.
In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment