Apr 12, 2011

Prom tomorrow

I am very excited for prom tomorrow. I am so glad that I'm going to an LDS prom as opposed to school prom. I went to the school homecoming freshman year and this year (this year with a date) and there was a lot of inappropriate music and behavior there. I can only imagine what a prom would be like for school. Anyway I went to the LDS prom last year with my friend Matt. It was a lot of fun. There was no inappropriate music, no bad behavior or bad language at all. Everyone wore modest attire and looked beautiful/ handsome. I can't wait for tomorrow. My friend and I are going to prom together and we'll be in a small group with a really close friend of ours and his date (whom I have never met before). We're all going to red lobster for dinner. I am just so dang excited.

Update on my mom:
She's home now! She is still in a lot of pain and on some meds for that and for recovery from surgery. Next is radiation and one more surgery and we'll be done.

I am so grateful she is home.

---

Today was our all day festival field trip for choir. We performed very well and I had a great time despite the blasting headache I got before lunch.
On the bus ride to the high school where we sang, I read some parts of an old issue of Ensign. My best friends mom gives their old ones to me. I love reading the articles and stories. I read a talk in a 2009 issue that I thought was really cool. There were two I read actually that I really liked a lot. The first one was called "That your burdens may be light" by Elder L. Whitney Clayton. The second one was "Teaching helps save lives". I liked the second one a lot. I love to tell people about the Gospel and to answer questions. I also really love reading about things and then doing a talk/ testimony on the subject. I've only ever done a talk once so far but I really love it and it was such a great experience for me. I hope I can do it again soon because I loved it so much.
In this he talks about teachers in his life and he says
"These great teachers have inspired me to ask questions about my own teaching:

1. As a teacher, do I view myself as a messenger from God?

2. Do I prepare and then teach in ways that can help save lives?

3. Do I focus on a key doctrine of the Restoration?

4. Can those I teach feel the love I have for them and for my Heavenly Father and the Savior?

5. When inspiration comes, do I close the manual and open their eyes and their ears and their hearts to the glory of God?

6. Do I invite them to do the work that God has for them to do?

7. Do I express so much confidence in them that they find the invitation hard to refuse?

8. Do I help them recognize promised blessings that come from living the doctrine I am teaching?"

I think that this is a really good list of questions to ask yourself. Not only if you are a sunday school teacher, a home teacher, a missionary, as a parent, or even if you're just teaching yourself. I really love teaching people things and I love talking about the Gospel.

I'll end with these two quotes from Gordon B. Hinckley:

“I believe in the pursuit of education. What is education? Reduced to its most simplistic definition it is the training of the mind and the body. . . . It is something that need never stop—no matter how old we grow we can acquire knowledge and use it. We can gather wisdom and profit from it.”
—Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley (1997), 170

“Read. Read. Read. Read the word of God in sacred books of scripture. Read from the great literature of the ages. Read what is being said in our day and time and what will be said in the future.”
—“A Three-point Challenge,” BYU Commencement Address, April 27, 1995

These two quotes I think go together well. By reading the scriptures, we will learn more and be able to live better on the earth so we can return to Heavenly Father in the Celestial Kingdom. A very important lesson I learned from a friend of mine (My best friends mom) is that "Knowledge is power". With more knowledge you will be better prepared to live in the world and teach and be a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment