Mar 14, 2012

Help! I'm becoming a mormon domestic!

Haha. Witty title. I win.

Tomorrow I'm going to a Relief Society "Secret Ingredient Recipe Group". I'm really excited. I'm making white cake with my lavender milk frosting. The cake is simple white cake and the frosting is basically dried lavender and milk boiled together so the lavender smell and oil are blended into the milk. Then I strain out the lavender and add powdered sugar. It's quite tasty. I haven't made it in a LONG time.
The point of tomorrow's recipe group is to bring a dish of a recipe with some kind of ingredient that makes people go "What? You put THAT in there?"
I'm pretty jazzed to see what people come up with.
I just hope my cupcakes turn out well. I'm using a recipe for white cake I found on the internet because the only box mix we have is a lemon cake and that would definitely taste awful with lavender frosting.
I don't mean to brag or anything, but I did win 2 awards 2 years in a row in the girl scout bake off. Cake and pie years. For the cake year, I made a super fudge cake. It was so rich and chocolatey that I won most chocolate. I didn't place, but I won an award. That year, my dad and I worked for hours in the kitchen trying to get the chocolate frosting to thicken up. It didn't. We called it mudslide and stuck a halloween straw in it to keep it from sliding any further. It was good, but a mess to make and a mess to clean up. Then Pie year, I made 2 banana cream pies from scratch (including the crust) I won first place that year and I would have moved on to the regional wide girl scout bake off, but I got grounded.
I'm really not bad fan-dang-tastic at baking. I'm okay at cooking, but that's just because I haven't practiced much. I did, however reach quite a milestone in my mormon domestic-ness last year when I made a dinner of orange chicken, broccoli, and rice for my family. (I think I made rice...) I think that post is on here too haha. I made it all without burning it. Then over the summer in 2011, I went to my dear old friend Dena's house quite often and she taught me how to cook french toast, stir fry, and something else I think. She's southern and she makes incredibly grand tasting food. I remember the day we were making stir fry, I was cutting the tomatoes with a non tomato-cutting knife and I cut my finger pretty good.
Oh, and last thursday (about a week ago) I was taking a pizza out of the oven. I had oven mitts on, but my sleeves were rolled up. I didn't take the rack out a little bit, I just reached right on in for that pizza. Anyway, I lifted my right arm up just a little to pick up the pizza and I burnt my arm pretty bad. It's nasty. It's deep and it bleeds quite a bit off and on. It's getting better, but it has only slightly decreased in size. The day after I burnt my arm, a grey blister formed on my poor little appendage. Since then, everyone who notices it either goes "EWWWWWW! GROSS! WHAT HAPPENED???" or "Is that a burn? How did you manage to do that?"
It's been rather entertaining and has been 90% more attention than I want. It's kind of fun to show it off to people to gross them out, but each day after about one or two people, it tends to get old retelling the story and saying "oh, yeah. Oven burn. Was making a pizza." I find that my story is much more in detail around the morning time.
Anyway, I feel guilty. I must be honest. The title is not in fact entirely my own. I saw a girl use it as a title for a picture album on facebook the other day.
Thought it was still pretty witty though.

I wish I could say the same about my blog title haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment